Alkaline Batteries - Sizes
Browse the assortment of alkaline batteries to power a wide array of devices here at Batteries Plus Bulbs. We carry a large inventory of standard and specialty battery sizes from trusted brands like Rayovac and Duracell, and we guarantee all our household batteries are fresh for superior performance. Whether powering a camera, watch, or handheld electronic device, find many different types of battery sizes to keep your devices going for longer.
What is an Alkaline Battery?
An alkaline battery is a disposable battery featuring manganese dioxide and zinc electrodes. Many types of electronic devices specify the use of alkaline batteries since they offer quick, high-current charging.
As compared to a non-alkaline battery, an alkaline battery delivers slightly more energy and longer shelf life. Simple yet sophisticated, this type of household battery contains a few main components:
- Container. A standardized container constructed from steel holds the components of the battery together.
- Cathode. This portion of the battery that causes electricity to flow.
- Anode. A material made of powdered zinc is installed inside the container last.
- Separator. This material separates the cathode from the anode and prevents a reaction from occurring unless the device is powered on.
- Electrolyte. Plays a role in contacting the anode and helping the battery's ions and electrons flow.
- Collector. This is the brass pin located in the center of the anode that collects currents and sends them to the negative terminal on the bottom of the battery.
Common Types of Battery Sizes
The letters on the battery indicate what size it is. Choose the right size of alkaline battery for your device by looking on the device you need to power for the right size indication or checking your owner's manual. You're probably familiar with the most common battery sizes:
Essentially, the farther you get through the alphabet, the larger the battery size. On standard household batteries, the more a battery features the same letter, like AA and AAA, the smaller the battery size.
Alkaline Battery Tips
While household batteries can perform well at both high or low temperatures, prevent a decline in performance by keeping them away from extreme cold or hot temperatures. Ensure longer battery life and peak performance by:
- Storing them in a cool, dry place.
- Removing them from your electronic devices when not in use for extended periods of time.
- Removing them from electronic devices that are being powered by household AC current.
- Keeping them separate from metal objects like paper clips or coins that could influence the battery's polarity.
- Not using batteries of different brands or ages together.
Where to Find a Wide Variety of Battery Sizes
Shop the assortment of alkaline battery sizes at Batteries Plus Bulbs to keep all your devices powered and ready to go. Bring in your used batteries for us to recycle, too. Our responsible recycling practices help to reduce landfill waste and chemical pollution in the environment.