What to Do to Your Phone Before Trading It In
- by Bryan Veldboom
- updated on
As an incentive to join their new 5G networks, wireless carriers are now offering much higher trade-in values for older model phones. Before trading it in, get your phone repaired at Batteries Plus. This will help you to get the most money possible for your trade-in. In this blog, we'll cover which repairs will help you get the best price possible and tell you how to prep your phone for trading it in.
Is It Better To Repair or Replace a Phone?
Upgrading your phone can be costly and, at this point, 5G service is still pretty inconsistent. For now, it may be more economical to just repair your current phone. Batteries Plus specializes in iPhone repair and Samsung repair and offers the following repair services:
- Cell phone screen repair - there are many reasons to have your screen repaired
- Cell Phone battery replacement - replacing your battery will help fix issues like slow performance and crashes.
- Back glass repair
- Front- & rear-facing camera repair
- Charge port repair
- Charge port cleaning
- Speaker repair
- Headphone jack repair
- Button repair
Should I Get My Phone Fixed Before Trading It In?
If you do decide to trade-in your phone, it's still a good idea to have major issues repaired. While phone trade-in prices can get as high as $700 to $1000, the amount you receive hinges largely on your phone model and condition. Here's a guide to what repairs you should prioritize:
- A shattered screen will seriously devalue your phone's trade-in value, so fixing that should be your first priority.
- Many buyback programs take your battery's health into account. Check your battery's health. If it's below 80%, you might want to consider replacing it.
- Broken cameras, speakers, buttons and ports can also impact your trade-in value.
How Do I Clear My iPhone or iPad Before I Trade It In?
Here is a quick checklist of how to clear your personal information. For more in-depth answers visit Apple's official guide to prepping your phone for trade-in.
- If you already have a new iPhone, transfer your information to your new device using Quick Start.
- If your phone is paired with an Apple Watch, be sure to unpair it.
- Back up your old iPhone.
- Sign out of iCloud and the iTunes & App store.
- If you're switching to a non-Apple phone, deregister iMessage.
- If you're trading in your phone at an Apple store: do not erase your device. The Apple Specialist will walk you through the rest of the process. If you're not trading in your phone at an Apple store: continue with the remaining steps below.
- Go to Settings and tap General > Transfer or Reset [device] > Erase All Content and Settings. If prompted, enter your Apple ID & password.
- If your phone uses eSIM, choose the option to erase your device and your eSIM profile when prompted.
- If asked for your phone passcode or Restrictions passcode, enter it. Then tap Erase [device].
- Contact your carrier to transfer service to a new owner.
- Remove your old phone from your list of trusted devices.
How Do I Wipe My Samsung Phone Before Selling It?
- Back up your data, including contacts, call records, messages, photos, videos, songs, WhatsApp chats, etc.
- If you have a new phone, transfer your data. There are apps like Samsung Smart Switch on the Play store that can help with the data transfer process.
- Remove all linked accounts from your old phone, including: Google account, Microsoft account, WhatsApp account, social media profiles and any other third party app accounts.
- Remove your SIM card and MicroSD card.
- Perform a factory reset:
- Under Settings, tap General Management
- Go to Reset > Factory data reset.
- Tap Reset again.
- Input your lock screen password.
- Tap Delete all
Book Your Repair Appointment at Batteries Plus
At Batteries Plus, we make it as easy as possible to get your phone fixed. Our technicians work fast. On average, common fixes like screen repairs and battery replacements can be completed in 45-60 minutes. Even better, Batteries Plus participates in the Cellular Telecommunications and Internet Association's WISE program (at participating locations only). That means you can be confident that your device is in the very best hands. Book your cell phone or tablet repair appointment online today, or stop into your nearest Batteries Plus location.