What Are Lithium Batteries Best Used For?
- by Joe Weber
- updated on
Lithium batteries are everywhere. They're in your phones and tablets, your power tools, cameras, security systems and so much more. What makes lithium batteries different and why are they so much better than other battery technologies? Keep reading to learn more about what these batteries are commonly used for and why they are becoming the ideal choice for a battery replacement.
Common Uses for Lithium Batteries
Lithium batteries have more applications than you thought. This newer battery technology is used in many devices, including the following household devices.
- Digital Cameras require a high-energy-density power source which makes lithium camera batteries the perfect choice sith photographers for their mirrorless and DSLR cameras.
- Smartphones today have a lot of power demands and require a strong power source to stay powered throughout the day. Lithium smartphone batteries almost always need to be installed by a repair technician but can be hundreds of dollars cheaper than replacing a phone.
- Laptops need batteries to work without being plugged into an outlet. It's what makes laptops, laptops. If you are in need of a fresh new laptop battery, we've got you covered. If you have a newer laptop that has the battery integrated into the laptop our experienced technicians will install a new one for you.
- Watches come in all shapes and sizes but one thing that many have in common is the use of a lithium coin cell battery. The lithium CR2032 is one of the most common watch batteries out there. Don't forget to look into our watch battery replacement services to help you remove one more thing off of your list of batteries to replace at home.
- Portable Power Bricks that you travel with to make sure you can keep your phone charged on the go are powered by rechargeable lithium batteries. While you can replace the batteries in power banks they are strong and long lasting to get every use out of it you need.
- Deep Cycle for your boat or RV can be upgraded to our exclusive X2Power lithium batteries which will provide you with relentless power to power your gear day in and day out, all season long.
- Powersport equipment like your motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs, snowmobiles and jet skis are perfect for lithium power. Lithium is considerably more powerful than lead acid and it also weighs half as much as conventional batteries, which is a big deal for enthusiasts looking to squeeze out as much horsepower as possible.
- Medical Equipment of all types and sizes rely on lithium batteries for life-saving and healthy living equipment.
- Power tools are a necessary part of the construction worker or DIYer tool kit. Lithium cordless tool batteries have become the standard in new power tools and provide more power and longer run times than older Nickel Cadmium batteries. They are smaller and lighter weight to make transporting multiple batteries easier.
- Everyday batteries are used in your daily life like remote controls, video game controllers, clocks, radios and so much more. Batteries Plus carries a large selection of everyday lithium batteries to fit all of your needs.
Why Are Lithium Batteries Better?
Compared with other battery chemistries like alkaline and nickel cadmium, lithium batteries provide a much stronger power source that lasts considerably longer in devices.
- Lithium batteries in household electronics last upwards of 6x longer than alkaline batteries, reducing the frequency of buying replacement batteries. Learn more about the benefits of lithium in everyday devices in "What are the Differences Between Lithium and Alkaline Batteries?".
- Lithium tool batteries can withstand around 1,000 recharges and charge noticeably faster than NiCd batteries.
- LiFePO4 deep cycle batteries will provide the same level of power from a 100% charge down to 1% and charge 4x faster than lead acid batteries.
- Lithium batteries are a much more environmentally friendly alternative. They contain no toxic chemicals and are completely recyclable.
There are some special considerations when it comes to using lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) in cold weather, in "How Do Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries Perform in Cold Weather?", we discuss what lithium users should expect if they are using their batteries in the winter months.
Batteries Plus is Your Lithium Battery Headquarters
Shop our extensive selection of lithium batteries online or stop into one of our 700+ locations around the country to see how we can help you with your battery needs. We carry everything you need from everyday lithium batteries and tool batteries to deep cycle batteries for your boat or RV. No matter the power demand, we have a solution for you at Batteries Plus.