If you ride, then you know how exciting this time of year is. During these prime motorcycle months, you'll need to upkeep your bike to keep it on the road. At Batteries Plus, we would like to wish you a safe and happy riding season by offering some helpful motorcycle battery maintenance tips.
Select the right battery
This may seem like a no-brainer, but it is easy to pick up the wrong one.
- If the battery for your bike is sensor-equipped, remember to replace the sensor at the same time you change the battery.
- When given the option of several different batteries for your vehicle, choose the one that will give you what you want performance-wise – it is up to you.
- Never swap a maintenance-free battery for another battery unless the applications book says it's okay.
Bike Battery Checklist – Quick tips to extend the service life of your battery
Make monthly battery maintenance part of your routine.
- Check cables, clamps and case for obvious damage or loose connections.
- Check inside for excessive sediment, sulfation or mossing.
- Make sure the exhaust tube is free of kinks and clogs.
- Test the battery's performance with either a hydrometer or voltmeter.
Check fluid levels
Keep the individual cells in your battery filled to the indicated electrolyte levels using only distilled or deionized water. Make sure to wear gloves and protective glasses and fill in a well-ventilated area. This kind of maintenance is done throughout the riding year. The more you ride, the more frequently it should be checked.
Clean your battery
To eliminate the corrosive buildup on your battery terminals, scrub them clean using a terminal post and clamp brush and battery cleaner.
Make sure vent caps are tight to prevent the cleaner from entering the cells. Wipe them off with a wet towel and dry with another towel. Once the terminals have completely dried, you can apply a bit of anti-corrosion spray around each terminal to deter future corrosive buildup.
Use a charger
Finally, connect your battery to a motorcycle battery charger to keep it at an optimum level of charge. This is more for winter maintenance, but can be used during the riding months when the bike is not used regularly.
At Batteries Plus, not only will you find a variety of motorcycle chargers, batteries, cleaning supplies and accessories, you'll also experience the helpful service that we have to offer, like battery installation. Use our store locator to find a location near you.
And remember, we're social, so follow us!