1. What qualifications are necessary to own a Batteries Plus Bulbs franchise?
We are seeking motivated entrepreneurs with strong communication skills, a business background, recognition of the importance of business-to-business sales and an interest in a technology franchise.
2. Do I need specialized technical knowledge in batteries, light bulbs or the electronics industry to own a Batteries Plus Bulbs franchise?
We prepare you to open your store by equipping you with the knowledge needed to provide your customers with solutions. Upon signing your agreement, you will receive a user ID for our online training site, which is designed to teach you and your sales associates about battery and light bulb terminology, chemistries, applications, features, benefits and more. After completion, you will be ready to attend a three-week classroom training session, which will cover products, store systems, processes, selling skills, human resources, marketing, finance, your in-store tech center and more. We will also provide you with a separate, hands-on, 3-day training session for tablet, smartphone and mp3 player repairs, for at least two associates per store.
3. How much money can I make owning a franchise with Batteries Plus Bulbs?
As a franchise business, we are regulated as to how an earnings claim can be communicated. Batteries Plus Bulbs can provide this to you in written form in the Franchise Disclosure Document. To obtain the Franchise Disclosure Document, please request additional information and complete our Confidential Franchise Application.
4. What is the business potential for a franchise in the battery & light bulb market?
Batteries Plus Bulbs serves the $30.7 billion U.S. battery industry and the rapidly growing U.S. light bulb industry, estimated to be at $17 billion in sales.* Batteries Plus Bulbs has seized the opportunity to become the uncontested leader in the field, differentiated by product breadth, availability and superior knowledge. Our stores have access to over 45,000 different batteries, light bulbs and related products. Franchisees can access over 6.5 million records through a comprehensive online, proprietary reference catalog. Our franchise business opportunity is positioned to capitalize on five sources of revenue at every location. *Freedonia Research Study
5. What are Batteries Plus Bulbs' market attributes and demographic criteria?
While Batteries Plus Bulbs stores thrive today in a wide variety of markets within 47 states, there are a few key attributes we look for, including residential population and local business density. As a consumer oriented retail store, we prefer to be located in markets with destination-driven retail shopping areas typically populated with ‘big box’ stores. Freestanding buildings, strip centers or dual-usage buildings of at least 1700-2000 square feet, located in these high-traffic areas, are ideal locations for our storefronts. Our Franchise Development team will review your areas of interest and provide an assessment of the market opportunity.
Type - Freestanding, Dual-use Building, Pad Strip Center
Traffic - Minimum 25,000 ADT
Area - Retail Cohesiveness
General - Good Accessibility, Visible to Traffic, Stoplight Intersection
Population - Upwards of 75,000 people in trade area
Income - Middle to upper household income
Housing - Values above market median, high ownership
Business Support - Over 3,000 businesses in market
6. How does Batteries Plus Bulbs assist in site selection?
Our Real Estate team assists you in identifying options for the optimal site by: introducing you to local brokers who assist in your search, traveling to your market to tour and qualify sites that meet defined criteria, providing guidance through the letter of intent (LOI) process, and assisting with lease negotiations in an advisory capacity.
7. How does Batteries Plus Bulbs assist in the design and set up of my franchise retail store?
Our team of experienced Field Consultants work closely with you by arriving at your store after the build out is complete and fixtures are set. They assist in preparing your store to open by helping install Point-of-Sale hardware, displays, merchandise, signage and more. Additionally, the Field Consultant will provide in store training with your associates to help them get ready for opening.
8. How am I supported in the day-to-day operations of my franchise?
Our franchise business opportunity offers assistance from corporate teams that focus on the point-of-sale system, product knowledge and bid support, financial goal setting, marketing, merchandising, buying and logistics, and training. Relative to systems, our franchisees use point-of-sale software, which assists in inventory and customer database management. Sales data is collected centrally through a wide area network, where it is evaluated by category managers and buyers.
9. What is the term of the franchise agreement and the investment cost?
Our franchise business opportunity offers a contract term for 10 years, with a right to renew. The investment range can be viewed here. We offer single and multiple units in key markets. Available growth markets can be searched for here.
10. What's next for this franchise opportunity?
If you'd like to learn more about the Batteries Plus Bulbs franchise opportunity before submitting an application, either complete the information on this page or call our Franchise Development team at (800) 274-9155.
11. What recent awards has Batteries Plus Bulbs been recognized for?
Franchise Times®' Top 200TM Franchise Systems in the U.S.
• Ranked #144 overall
• #12 Retail Franchise in U.S. based on 2013 worldwide system sales in
the retail category
2014 Forbes® Magazine Best Franchises in America
• Ranked #4 franchise in the mid-range investment category
Best for Vets: Franchises by Military Times for 2014-2015
• Ranked #12
2014 Top Franchises for Veterans by Entrepreneur® Magazine
• Ranked #51
2014 Inc. 5000 list of America's fastest-growing private companies
• Eighth consecutive year on the Inc. 5000 list
2014 Franchise Times® Fast and Serious Franchises List
• Ranked #33 Overall
2014 Entrepreneur® Magazine Franchise 500
• Ranked #79 Overall
• Ranked #1 in the Battery Category
• 20th consecutive year on the Franchise 500 list
• Ranked #63 on Fastest-Growing Franchises list
2013 Franchise Times'® Top 200™ Franchise Systems in the U.S.
• Ranked #12 Retail Franchise in U.S. based on 2012 worldwide system sales in the retail category
2013 Inc. 5000 list of America's fastest-growing private companies
• Ranked #4362
• 7th consecutive year on the Inc. 5000 list
2013 USA Today Top Franchises for Veterans
• Ranked as a top 50 franchise for vets
2013 G.I. Jobs Magazine Military Friendly Franchises
• Ranked in the top 10% of all franchises in the nation
• 4th consecutive year for this award
2013 Entrepreneur® Magazine Franchise 500
• Ranked #71 Overall
• Ranked #1 in the Battery Category